- I currently work for a London newspaper (City AM). I head up the technical team (a team of four). My LinkedIn profile expands on this.
- I’m a manager with strong technical skills. I have long-term experience in coding, so I fully appreciate the challenges faced by developers, and work with them to achieve the best possible results.
- I’ve worked as a tester and I’m therefore very quality-focused. I report every bug I find.
- I’m a problem solver – I get to the bottom of an issue quickly, and then propose solutions.
- I’m very organised. I use a mixture of tools (JIRA, Google Docs, Excel, Evernote) when organising the priorities for my team.
- Areas of interest: CMS architecture, information architecture, exploratory testing, usability testing, admin screens/reports, UX, blogging.
I aim to know a smaller range of technologies well, rather than having broad knowledge with little depth. I can pick up new skills as needed, and have run a wide range of technical development projects. When I want to code, or the team is extra busy and I can help move a few tasks along, my specialities are:
- Tools/frameworks: Laravel v4, Zend Framework v1, jQuery, Twig
- I’m a blogger, currently running a mixed topic blog here at benbarden.com.
- I’m a composer of instrumental music. See my music page for more.
- I’m a keen listener of funk and soul music, and have a long-standing love of trance.
- I’m a fan of various TV shows, especially sci-fi and comedy. (Red Dwarf is a favourite!) Here are some of my favourite TV shows.
- I’m not the most travelled person, but here’s a page listing the places I’ve been.
- To get in touch, email me: fromtheblog at benbarden dot com